- SARR Freights
5 Costly Mistakes Heavy Machinery Manufacturers Make While Hiring ODC Transporters in India
Updated: Oct 17, 2022
How do you pick an Over Dimensional Cargo (ODC) transport service provider in India? How can you be sure they are qualified? Will your cargo arrive on time & safely? Will they provide you with proper documentation of the shipping process and all applicable laws? These questions can be hard to answer, especially when you don’t have experience in the industry. This blog post will walk you through the five most common mistakes heavy machinery manufacturers make when hiring ODC transporters in India so that you don’t have to experience them yourself!
1. Focusing Only on Price, and not Expertise
Selecting a transporter based only on price, and not expertise is the costliest mistake companies make. Experienced movers will have decades of experience handing heavy machineries including power transformers, heavy turbines, windmill blades, rail coaches, long girders, nacelles, and other infrastructure material. Price can be an impor-
tant factor, but while moving Heavy Machineries (ODC Cargo) or other high value items, it's always worth paying more for the right experience.
Cheaper options may be costlier with hidden delays and costs. Don’t assume cargo will arrive on time and in one piece! Using experienced movers instead of cheaper ones allow greater flexibility and faster service, which could save you costly delays down t
2. Selecting a Company with Lack of Customised Vehicle Options
Another common mistake companies make when hiring ODC transporters is not considering the different types of vehicles that are available for their cargo.
- Heavy Machinery weighing up to 35 MT can be transported using Mechanical Trailers.
- Heavy cargo weighing more than 35 MT needs hydraulic axle trailers, which have adjustable suspensions keeping the platform horizontal even while moving through the toughest terrains.
- Low Bed trailers are used to transport cargo with height over 12 feet. These trailers have a bed height of 2-3 feet and are useful for routes having several low overhead obstructions.
- Semi Low Bed trailers have a height of 4 feet and “L” shape and are used to carry loads above 12 feet.
If you're not sure what type of vehicle you need, contact us now! Different transporters have different fleet options and specialise in transportation of specific cargo.
3. Hiring Companies with Limited Ability to Track Consignments
An experienced and reliable ODC transporter will have enough manpower to track of all your consignments so you can easily see the status of your shipment. You should also be able to communicate with them about any delays or changes in a timely manner.
4. Appointing those who are not well-versed with the laws, regulations, and considerations of ODC in India
Appointing those who are not well-versed with the laws, regulations, and considerations of ODC in India is one of the costliest mistakes companies make. Regulations for the movement of heavy machinery are frequently changing and updated by the Ministry of Road Transportation & Highways (MORTH). Lack of awareness about the same and improper handling of ODC cargo can lead to costly physical damage to the cargo, or hefty fines & penalties.
5. Missing important Value-added Services like Route Surveys, Warehousing, Security Convoys, Movement Recording and Cargo Insurance
Route surveys provides the transporter with valuable information around the obstructions faced en route. Narrow turn streets for over length cargo, or steep hills need to be identified in advance so that civil works can be completed. ODC transporters now provide other Value-Added Services including warehousing, security convoys, movement recording and cargo insurance, protecting the cargo owner in case of accidents.
Hiring the right kind of ODC transporter for your heavy cargo is essential for it to reach its destination on time and without any damage. There are a lot of mistakes that can be avoided if you know what they are, so take note of these five mistakes people make while hiring ODC transporters.
SARR Freights is a specialised ODC transporter, having its own fleet of mechanical trailers, hydraulic axle trailers, low bed trailers, semi low bed trailers, and trucks. Established in 1986 and headquartered in New Delhi, India, we have over three decades of experience in serving more than 200+ clients in 50+ countries. SARR Freights is well versed in handling Super ODC & ODC Cargo having weight of more than 300 MT. Contact Us with your request today!